The church was organized as the First Congregational Church of Baldwinville in Union Hall on January 4, 1874, with 51 Charter members. The first two deacons were ordained and were noted for driving to church in shiny coaches driven by gleaming black horses. A new church building was constructed at the corner of Elm and Memorial Streets in 1883 (at the cost of $9,000!).
Over the years, the church was blessed by many fine pastors and ministered to the needs of many through its programs of outreach and financial resources for foreign and domestic missions.
As a Congregational church, all major church decisions are made by vote of the congregation. We covenant with and support the ministries of other churches but are not part of a hierarchical system. Our covenantal relationship with those churches is through a denominational system that we are part of. That denomination, originally the Congregational Christian Churches, merged with two other denominations on June 25,1957 to from the United Church of Christ.
The congregation voted to become an “Open and Affirming” church in the UCC on January 29, 2006. As an Open and Affirming congregation we are open to and affirming of people of all races, genders, and sexual orientations.
In 2020, the COVID pandemic caused the church to cease worshipping in the church building and hold all services virtually on Facebook video. After the crisis subsided, we returned to the sanctuary, worshipping in person (as well as sharing conversation and coffee in the fellowship hall after worship) but also offering the video for those who are homebound or who wish to remain at home. Subsequently, our numbers in the sanctuary on Sunday mornings have lessened, but our spirit and mutual love has not.
We always welcome new people to join in our fellowship.